POCA Forums

Username Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?

patient’s winter boots
Posted: 18 October 2011 09:30 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-03-28

So here I sit in Massachusetts, with the light dwindling and the temperature dropping, so my thoughts turn to winter.  I’m energized from being at CANference so I thought I’d put this out to the community.  I’m a posting virgin-this is my first time, so I don’t know if I’m doing it right.  Anyway back to the issue at foot.

Things get really messy here in Mass.in the winter and when we enter someone’s home we usually remove our boots.  So, what should we have pt’s do in the clinic?  Our big room is carpeted and we don’t want people tracking stuff in.  Is it safe to have people remove their boots before they enter and then walk to their chairs in stocking feet?  Any thoughts, or experiences appreciated.

thanks, Dalit 

Posted: 19 October 2011 01:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  143
Joined  2007-03-29

That’s exactly what we do

our whole shop is carpeted but outside the ‘lounge’ we have boot trays and a sign posted asking folks to remove their footwear before entering.  most people are cool about it. some ‘forget’. 

one thing that crossed my mind was having a few pairs of boot warmers going that people can stuff into their shoes while they’re ‘cooking’ so that they can have warm boots when they’re done.   But the thought of how the shop would smell afterwards steered me the other way.

hope that helps… 

Posted: 07 November 2011 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2011-01-03

Slippers

Hello Dalit,

Winter is also on my mind here in Canada. A none-community acupuncture clinic that I worked in asked patients to remove their footwear, and provided slippers to wear in the clinic. The occasional patient will forget and keep their shoes on, but most realize already that you want to keep your floor clean.

I see it as a potential hazard to have people walking in their stocking feet. In the off chance you lose a needle on the floor, a patient might get it stuck in their foot.

Keep warm this winter,
Lindsay

Posted: 08 November 2011 03:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  166
Joined  2011-04-12

boot rack

I am also in Mass and after several very messy winters I put up a sign on the floor where people come in that says “please remove shoes”.  I also put a rug under it and will definitely buy a boot rack this winter to keep it organized.

I too have worried about the occasional stray needle.  However the hazard exists regardless of the patient entering shoeless or with shoes, given that most needles tend to fall closest to where the patient was getting treated.  

That said, some of my patients like to bring their slippers from home with them, and that is fine by me.

Signature 

Happily poking at MAS

Posted: 09 November 2011 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  72
Joined  2009-05-20

Humph

Move to Arizona ???