POCA Forums

Username Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?

Master Tung/ Dr Tan seminar
Posted: 15 February 2012 08:21 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2012-02-11

I am trying to decide whether to take Susan Johnson’s Master Tung seminar or Dr Tan seminar.  Anyone have any feedback on these and what is best for practicing in a CA setting clinic. Are they the same kind of thing?

Posted: 15 February 2012 11:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2010-06-20

Join http://www.balancemethodacupuncture.com to start.

Posted: 15 February 2012 11:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  713
Joined  2009-05-06

I’ve taken Dr Tan’s seminars and enjoyed those. Isn’t Susan Johnson’s much more expensive and requires much more time commitment?

Signature 

Jade Fang
Jade Community Acupuncture
Does your clinic need help? Click here for Clinic Success!
Want to help direct the future of POCA web stuff?
Do you get excited looking at code? Or just want to help with data entry? Email me! .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted: 15 February 2012 11:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  417
Joined  2006-11-12

I’ve done one of each.  They are not the same.  They are both very worthwhile and applicable to CA.  The Tung stuff is really a whole nother system of acupuncture, with a big book of new points to learn, so get ready to dive deep if you want to go that way.  I tend to use more Tan stuff in day to day practice, but that’s probably just because I was already doing it and it’s easier to get my head around.  I also find Dr Tan more amusing than Susan, but ymmv.

Signature 

Whitsitt Goodson
WCA Punk and POCA Tech clinic supervisor
Portland, OR, Cascadia

Posted: 15 February 2012 11:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Punk
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1785
Joined  2006-10-25

What Whitsitt said - have done both trainings and find them both very useful. Both Dr. Tan and Susan offer good practical knowledge. I think Tan stuff is easier to implement quickly in CA setting and it is in many ways a more forgiving method and easy to understand because you are using the same points you learned in school, for the most part. Master Tung system is awesome and learning even a bit of it can go a long way to help patients.
Hope this helps.

Signature 

~tatyana, co-manager & acupunk
Sarana Community Acupuncture
http://www.saranaca.org
Albany, CA

Posted: 16 February 2012 12:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  133
Joined  2007-09-15

Both are very useful.  Whitsitt and Tatyana are right in that there are a lot of Tung points to learn and Dr. Tan’s approach is easy to implement because of its use of standard points.  I have to say though, Master Tung points rock!  Especially the finger points.  Once you learn to needle them smoothly on people they are a kind of magic.  And, you can learn them bit by bit every day in the clinic.

Signature 

John Vella
WCA Punk
POCA-Tech Faculty

Posted: 16 February 2012 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  625
Joined  2007-06-25

Agree with most of above comments. Tan and Tung systems are both very useful in CA.
Susan’s classes tend to be a bit more expensive. I’ve done several of both.
Both instructors are very good.
I used Tan’s Acup. 1,2,3 (learned from his book) in practice for some time before taking my 1st seminar w/ him.

Both systems seem to be about equally effective. Tan’s tends to use more points in a treatment.
I recommend taking both, if you can. If you can take only one now, I recommend start w/ Tan.

Signature 

David Villanueva
Oasis Community Acupuncture
Newark, CA

Posted: 16 February 2012 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  651
Joined  2007-05-08

I’d recommend Tan’s basic balance method class.  If you’re interested you can do the internal balance classes, too, though I will admit I haven’t found those methods any more successful than TCM.  I would not recommend any of his other classes; I’ve taken a few and they turn into Q + A sessions and aren’t particularly helpful.
I’ve taken Susan Johnson’s Master Tung class (just the 1st weekend).  Was good and she goes through her favorite points.  If you start w/ Dr. Tan you will see a lot of overlap with points from Tan and Tung.
There are other teachers who teach Master Tung courses as well.  I’m going for a second w/ Henry McCann in March- I always find it easier to really take in the material a second time around.

Signature 

Justine Deutsch Myers, Lic. Ac., Acupuncture Together

Posted: 06 March 2012 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2011-03-07

Justine - do you know how to find other teachers who teach Master Tung points?
its so hard to get to susans classes!
thanks tons
linda

Posted: 06 March 2012 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  651
Joined  2007-05-08
LindaG - 06 March 2012 01:47 PM

Justine - do you know how to find other teachers who teach Master Tung points?
its so hard to get to susans classes!
thanks tons
linda

Linda, I don’t know where you live, but there are various teachers who teach Master Tung points.  I just found out about Henry McCann’s class through NESA (that’s where I went to school and it’s near where I live/practice).  I can’t recall the names of other instructors, but I know there are some out there - perhaps others on this forum can answer - and/or you can do some internet searching for Tung seminars.  I know I have seen them listed with other practitioners.

Signature 

Justine Deutsch Myers, Lic. Ac., Acupuncture Together

Posted: 06 March 2012 06:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2011-03-07

thanks Justine - its me Linda G (from Nesa originally!) living in Florida now….struggling to find classes here.
I"ve googled Tung to try to find classes….
So Yes - if anyone else has ideas that would be great!
thanks all
linda

Posted: 06 March 2012 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  943
Joined  2010-08-30

haven’t taken classes from any of these guys.  But here are a couple names.. Check out Dr young.  He has a few books.  There is also Eric? Chu.  Dr. Carson in Canada.

Signature 

Nic Kurtz
Ad Astra Acupuncture
Lawrence CANsas

Posted: 06 March 2012 11:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  143
Joined  2007-03-29

dr. young=wei chieh young
dr. chu=robert chu
dr. carson=palden carson

dunno who eric is.

i have attended workshops by tan and young and enjoyed both.
young speaks through an interpreter, if that matters to you.  direct lineage to tung.  really knows his stuff.
tan is an entertaining speaker. 

fwiw, i wouldn’t take a tung course from tan.  tan really knows is own stuff, but from what i understand he doesn’t fully know his tung points.

hope this helps.

Posted: 07 March 2012 08:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  943
Joined  2010-08-30

yeah robert chu is who i was thinking of.  just wrote that off the top of my head.  i had a friend who did a workshop with him.  apparently he is a pretty funny guy.

Signature 

Nic Kurtz
Ad Astra Acupuncture
Lawrence CANsas

Posted: 15 March 2012 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  166
Joined  2011-04-12

Does anybody know of any Master Tung or Dr Tan distance learning seminars? I have to renew my license this year and finding the time to actually go to any of these things is becoming very difficult. Any other fantastic online class advice is welcome as well. Lately the only time I have to myself is late at night when the kids are in bed and I can do this stuff in my pj’s.
-April

Signature 

Happily poking at MAS

Posted: 22 March 2012 08:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  376
Joined  2008-01-09

go check out elotus.org. they do reasonably priced online webinars that you can get CEUs for(better double check that covers florida too). richard tan and robert chu are both on there.

Signature 

Tucson Acupuncture Co-op

worker-owner, nap enthusiast.

http://www.acupuncturecoop.com