POCA Forums

Username Remember Me?
Password   forgot password?

Military Pokes Holes In Acupuncture Skeptics’ Theory
Posted: 16 February 2012 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2012-02-14

You know acupuncture is becoming more mainstream when the military is using it, and NPR is covering it. Have a listen:

http://www.npr.org/2012/02/16/146944270/military-pokes-holes-in-acupuncture-skeptics-theory

The token detractor interviewed invokes the placebo effect, yet ignores the fact that mainstream pharmaceutical doesn’t satisfy the need for pain relief. If acupuncture worked only due to placebo effect, wouldn’t the placebo effect of popping pills cover that need?

Sorry if this post is not well placed in the forums. Given my access privileges right now, it was the best choice I had.

Signature 

Acu-hubby in Manchester, NH
POCA-BoD (Patient/Community member)

Posted: 16 February 2012 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2012-02-14

POCA people should have a presence in the comments section to counter some of the stupid comments appearing on NPR’s page, like this one:

-NPR again drinks the cool-aid of pseudo-science and quack medicine. For shame.-Again and again and again rigorous studies have shown acupuncture to be nothing more than placebo masquerading in the form of “ancient Eastern medicine.” It doesn’t matter if you use real needles, it doesn’t matter if you puncture the skin, it doesn’t matter where you put the stimulus.-Acupuncture started as a form of BLOOD LETTING based on Chinese ASTROLOGY. Hmm, already sounding super scientific, isn’t it! It progressed to the form of correcting “energy imbalances” of Qi with needles having to be placed on specific “meridians.” For example, a meridian at the, say ANKLE, can help with LIVER “energy dysfunction.” Yes, this is what many acupuncturists believe. -Now we know that acupuncture’s “effects,” which, again, are only seen with subjective complaints like pain, are based on placebo effects - expectations of the individual, the ritual of the experience, regression to the mean, and non-specific effects that only work with subjective experiences like pain or fatigue. -Of course, now some practitioners are jumping on the “placebo” bandwagon in their use of modalities like acupuncture, an unethical and ridiculous way to practice medicine.

Signature 

Acu-hubby in Manchester, NH
POCA-BoD (Patient/Community member)

Posted: 16 February 2012 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Punk
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1052
Joined  2010-10-04

The first comments coming in for this article have been very negative anti-acupuncture.  Practitioners and, better yet, patients are leaving their comments.  This is what I wrote:

“In my first year of practicing acupuncture I treated a woman who had a pseudo-tumor,a build up of fluid around her brain which caused her headaches. After coming in for regular treatments of once or twice a week for a few months she mentioned that her doctors were amazed that they did not need to give her as many procedures to drain the fluid off of her brain as they had before she started getting regular acupuncture. She is one of so many people that I have seen benefit for acupuncture. I now work with 3 other practitioners in a community clinic in New Hampshire. We offer affordable rates on a sliding scale. Doctors in our community refer patients to us regularly, including a pediatrician. I am disappointed to read so many negative comments about a modality that I know works, because I treat several dozen of patients a week. Healthcare in the United States is expensive and we need affordable solutions. Thank you NPR for covering acupuncture and thank you to the military for doing something that helps our service men and women.”

Signature 

acu-punk

Posted: 16 February 2012 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  625
Joined  2007-06-25

Here’s what I just submitted to npr:

Thanks for this article about acupuncture. This form of healing has been a lifesaver for many people, helping w/ stress, pain, common cold, hay fever, etc.
It also helps animals—dogs, cats, horses, even though they know nothing about acupuncture and do not know what to expect from the treatments. Acupuncture works even for the skeptics. They just need to try it and give it a fair chance.

Signature 

David Villanueva
Oasis Community Acupuncture
Newark, CA

Posted: 16 February 2012 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Punk
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1052
Joined  2010-10-04

Awesome, David.

Signature 

acu-punk

Posted: 16 February 2012 07:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  281
Joined  2010-02-15

I left this comment:
There are many studies that have looked at the physical effects of acupuncture, including at the biochemical level and in the brain using functional MRIs. These studies show an effect from acupuncture:
http://acupuncturegirl.tumblr.com/post/17557735827/this-is-your-brain-on-acupuncture-functional-mris
http://acupuncturegirl.tumblr.com/post/17556480615/how-acupuncture-may-work
Also:
“The US National Library of Medicine can be searched through PubMed at:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/ to show the huge volume of
scientific research that has now been done on acupuncture’ s basic
mechanisms and clinical applications in both animals and humans. As of
February 25, 2010, a search on the keyword “acupuncture”, limited only to
papers with abstracts, results in 14,846 papers, which shows the depth of
scientific research now published in English on acupuncture.”

Signature 

Pamela Howard
Richmond, VA